Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Wedding: Part One

Well, here is the first one of how ever many blogs it takes to get this story out for you all to enjoy!  WARNING:  This may contain episodes of WTMI - Way too much information for those of you who need the translation!  We were scheduled to get married in the Outer Banks, NC on Sept 4, 2010.  So the first thing that went wrong is that Hurricane Earl decided to hit that weekend.  The area was evacuated and noone was allowed in.  Of course who would want to be married on the beach at sunrise in a guazy dress in a hurricane anyway...That would have been like being naked in a sand storm plus being soaked down to the skin.  I wouldn't have needed any chemical peel after something like that, but we decided to pass on that particular spa treatment and managed to get the whole thing rescheduled to sunrise on Wed Sept 8, 2010.  We were set to leave for the OBX on Sun Sept 5.


Well, at 1:30 pm on Fri Sept 3, I was eating lunch and my very back top right molar had a huge chunk break out of it.  So I called my dentist and he said to get in there right that minute, so I ran down there and they did a HUGE filling for me and charged me $180!  OK, I can deal with that whole thing, just don't make me stand on the beach and repeat my vows with a giant toothache!  On Saturday, Chris had to work and I started my new "job" helping clean the office at a auto body shop.  I wound up being there a lot longer than planned, but it was all good.  Got home and got finished packing and ready to go on Sun morning.  I had cooked and baked a lot previously so that we would have a lot of gluten free food for my Hubby-to-be.  We had packed up our bicycles to ride while we were down there, but when we got in the car to leave, the tires were rubbing the inside of the wheel wells, so we had to take them off and were a little late getting out of here.  We would rent bikes when we got there.


We had a beautiful trip down, stopping to see the incredible scenery of the WV & VA mountains.  We went thru Staunton instead of Harrisonburg, so we got to see some country we hadn't seen before.  Alot of it was picture perfect!  Like looking at a living postcard.  We got to the beach about 5 pm and went to check in.  We got our keys and welcome pack and headed over to the Currituck Club.  We knew we were staying in a "community", but we didn't know it was a luxury golf community with an intricate security system.  So the first thing we came to was a guardhouse.  They took one look at us and said "NOPE!"  We didn't have the wristbands and car placard that we needed to gain access to the community and our "house".  So they called the realty company on one line and we called them on another.   Then back up to the realty company to pickup the placard and wristbands...They let us in and we found our house and got all the luggage and gear unloaded and were ready to head to the beach.  For some reason, Chris picked up the brochure about the community we were staying in and decided to check it out.  Good thing he did!  We could leave the community, but after dusk we would not be able to get back in because the guardhouse would close and we would need a pass code to get back in.  We had not been given one by the realty company and they were closed.  So we called their "emergency lockout" number when technically we were locked IN!  The agent had no clue what we were talking about and we spent at least an hour on phone calls back and forth trying to get it all sorted out.  We decided to go down to the guardhouse, throw ourselves on their mercy and see if they could help us out at all.  Thank God the guard on duty felt sorry for us.  He said we had half of the pass code figured out and since we had obviously rented the house and had all the paperwork for it, he would give us the other half of it.  So we got to the beach about an hour before it got dark.  We got to see the most amazing sunset though.  And when we first got to the top of the pass over the dune, we looked down and there was a couple getting married!  Beautiful!


We went back to the house and I decided to try out the jacuzzi tub.  The water was the color of pee, and smelled funny.  I thought the hurricane had stirred up the water tanks, and there were no notices to avoid the water, so I got in for a quick dip.  Chris took a shower... When I got out, we decided to see what the jets would do, and they shot sand out, so we never used the tub.  The more we looked around the house, the more dirt we found.  There was black gunk all over the bannisters, dust EVERYWHERE!  And thick layers of it.  We couldn't use the one toilet b/c the "cleaners" had left feces on the seat...Both of the showers had soap scum and dirty soap suds on the walls.  There was grease all over the sink and blinds in the kitchen.  The boards and nails on the deck were loose, so we set deck furniture over that so we would tear up our feet on the nails.  Needless to say, we were surprised the dreaded bedbugs weren't there.  I don't think the housecleaners had met up with SOFT SCRUB!  I was more than willing to introduce them!  Don't think I didn't complain!  I did repeatedly! 


The house itself was cute and the neighborhood was incredible.  I just wouldn't ever use the realty company they have representing them ever again.  By the way, don't use Sun Realty to rent a home from in the Outer Banks.  They are clueless about the security features of their properties,have a nasty cleaning crew and screwy ways of doing everything...the story will develop more from here...I want you to come back for more!!

1 comment:

  1. My name is Jacqueline Hill and I work for Sun Realty’s administrative department. I have just been made aware of your experience with us. I am very surprised and disappointed on how your check in process was handled. Our check in process is normally trouble-free and very swift. We try to provide all of our guests with all the necessary information needed during their stay. We understand that vacations are special and we try to ensure the best product possible. Please contact me directly at 252.441.4402 or JacquelineHill@SunRealtyNC.com to discuss this matter in detail. I am truly regretful for what you experienced, but I look forward to hearing from you to come up with a resolution. Best wishes to you and your new husband!

    ReplyDelete