Thursday, April 22, 2010

How did you spend Earth Day?

So, how did you spend Earth Day? Well, I spent it at the DMV...I should say I wasted it - at least 40 minutes of it. That is how long it took me to get my driver's license renewed. I had to go to the information desk and be told to go to the driver's desk. There I turned in my proof of residency and my old license. I took the eye exam, and had a seat with a number...Then after about 15 minutes I saw another person who took my driver's license, proof of residency and $13. Then I had a seat with another slip of paper. After about 20 more minutes yet another person called my name and took my photo. Five minutes later I had my new license and 5 years of being stuck with a photo that looks like someone stuck their hand up under that little blue curtain and goosed me.

While I waited, I had time to reflect on the first time I went to take my driver's test. It was another spring over 2 decades ago. I had gotten my permit and driven with my Mom and Dad, practiced parallel parking and was ready to go. Mom took me to the DMV at the State Police station on Meadowbrook Road, and I was assigned a state trooper that was at LEAST 6' 10". He folded himself accordion-style into the front passenger seat of the 1980 Toyota Corolla, his knees touching his chin. We left the lot and drove around and came back to do the parallel parking part. Now keep in mind I had practiced this at the Fairmont State Police Station, so I wasn't used to this particular spot. I gave it the first try, and hit the barrel at the back of the car and knocked it over. The trooper got out of the car to set the barrel back up. Just as he got behind the car, I let my foot off of the brake. I forgot the car was still in reverse, and looked in the rearview mirror just in time to see him doing a Dukes of Hazzard jump out of the way. Needless to say, I failed that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment